Frank J. Fisher Funeral Home History
Frank J. Fisher Funeral Home was established in 1854 by Frank J. Fisher himself. The funeral home was originally located at 908 Grove Street until the 1940’s when the home on Cherry Street was obtained. The 908 Grove Street location burned in the mid 1950’s. The home on Cherry street was built around 1850 and withstood the trauma of the seige in 1863.Through research, records have been found in the Old Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg proving that Frank J. Fisher Funeral Home provided services for the Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. Fisher Funeral Home was the first funeral home in Mississippi to offer horse drawn carriages,first to have an air conditioned building, first to have motorized vehicles, and the first embalming was preformed by Frank J. Fisher.
Fisher Funeral Home ran a free ambulance service for the citizens of Warren County from 1938 until 1967.
In 1969 renovation began adding on a 300+ seating chapel, holding to be one of the largest funeral home chapels in the state of Mississippi.